in RETROSPECT

     The comments my friends left on the last post somehow inspired me to put a little more writing to my entries.  As a consequence, there will be times when "Show Me Your Look Today" will discuss a little more about life's journeys.  I can't promise that I will be a perfect source of life's lessons, but I am certain that I will write with truth,  objectivity and compassion.  It will be my view of the world and our existence, my view of crossroads, of complexities and of other pressing issues -- Hopefully you might find something in it that will inspire you to make better choices, not just with clothes and stuff, but about other things that matter too. 



Looking Back and Ahead...

     Today, I wanna take a step back and look at things.  Sometimes when we feel overwhelmed, we can always stop and view what's happening in an entirely different perspective.  It's sometimes fun to halt for a while when things are moving in such speed and reflect on the past events that brought us where we are now. 

     Some things are worth remembering countless times because they're just...  hilarious.  Like checking on the clothes we've sported a few years back, I can honestly say that mine weren't so fly after-all!  But as many others before me had said about fashion just being a cycle, I believe that given the chance, I'll probably wear what my father or my uncles had worn decades ago during their teens.

     I wish to publish more old family photos but they're all back at home in the province and my parents are not tech savvies so asking them to send the pictures to me would mean snail mail.  I think I've rested long enough to let another post wait for any longer.  Anyway, I have a few pictures that were inserted on my stuff that i brought with me when i moved here in Manila.  Let me show some of them...

These are my wonderful parents...


This is my mom with her brother...


This is my mom holding my cousin, my aunt on her left and her friend on her right.


     Looking at the pictures, I'd say that the clothes they wore weren't so bad at all.  They actually looked pretty neat.

     Now here comes the fun part.  Let me just warn you that I require absolute tolerance at this point.  Yep, please maintain an open mind. LOL!

     This was me 5 years ago when I thought that over-sized jeans and shirts made me look cool.



     2007 was the year when I've sported several hair styles: from shaved head to army cut, from curly to straight...  Arf arf!




     Through the years, just like most of us, I've definitely acquired a more sensible taste on style and fashion.  I shifted from something that looks good at the moment to something that might be perceived as awesome even after several years, well -- hopefully.  When I look at my parents' and my relatives' pictures... I think they looked great in what they were wearing back in the 80's, 70's or even earlier.  I want my future kids to think and feel the same way when they see my pictures a few decades from today. --  when facebook is extinct and twitter has evolved into something else...

     Reminiscing the past can be healthy -- it's not just about fashion or style.  When we look at the events in our lives, the decisions we've made and the consequences resulting from those choices or actions -- we learn from them.  We realize how strong we truly are because despite the many downfalls, we've stood right up or if not right away, eventually we did.  And through it all, we've learned that although it's nice to experience the good times -- it's the bad times that proves a lot of things.  The bad times define our character,  it narrows down the list of our true friends, it makes our faith stronger, and  it keeps us in touch with our humanity.  And with enough inspiration that we get from friends or other people's experiences, we become better, stronger, and wiser.


      And yes, we should be aware that today or the future will not always be sunny, but the rainy days will be an opportunity for us to become better.  And with these challenges at hand, we gain wisdom and character.  As I've told a friend, all of this is easier said than done.  But belief and faith in yourself and in the goodness of this world, that's a relevant start.  Let's work our way up until we become masters of our fate.

     I would like to end this post with "In This Song", an inspiring song I found on YouTube.  It's from Charice Pempengco, a young talented fellow Filipino who despite of her humble and awkward beginnings learned to fight the odds and is now slowly and steadily reaching for her dreams.  The song was written for her by David Foster and tells of life's realities:  it's a fight that you can win if you believe in yourself.  It recognizes our weakness but it also tells us that if we have faith, we can make it through.  By the way, Charice will have a recurring role on the second season on the hit series Glee.



     Hope you learned something from the post like I did.  Documenting my thoughts is like a confirmation of my realizations and as thoughts become words, it feels awesome.  Hope you enjoyed the old pictures.  I've chosen the better ones because I can't bear to be embarrassed that much.

     When we look back, the happy memories give us joy while the sad ones make us grow.  The foolish things we did make us squeamish and the triumphs we've accomplished give us pride.  As a whole, this is the fiber of our humanity, whether we like it or not.  Have a great week ahead!

*Video of Charice courtesy of YouTube.
tags: lessons about life

32 comments:

Anonymous said...

Whew! This post surely brought back some memories..

I've had a difficult childhood. And it was very hard for me to let go. But thankfully, someone knocked some sense into my mushy but stubborn brain. Excuse the pun. I have to stop dwelling in the past.. have to let it go, learn from it and start moving forward.

Now thinking about it, I've realized that with all the shortcomings that I've had in the past, I was strong enough to face it head-on. And that it made me a better person. A "supergirl".

Coming into terms with our past helps us make ready for everything that's coming our way. And yes, it surely does make our future seem to be within reach.

Sorry for the emo comment, Myke. Nice post, by the way. Hear, hear! :D

Unknown said...

hahaha, this is fun to see! esp. thos o;d pics of urs mikey! u should see my metamorphosis too! LOL

and yes i do believe that human is the creature who always learn and grow up.

ps: love ur mother's shoes when she's holding ur cousin. and i mean LOVE!

Gaia Eos said...

mega LOL your post throws me back to my clothes memory lane...like you gone through several clothing styles and luckily there's no photos :p
I believe that we should always learn from the past so as to move forward in the present for a better future :)

Michael said...

Hi guys! THANKS for reading!

@Leah - go "supergirl"! ☺ I'm happy to know that you've become who you are now. And thank you for sharing a part of your life story with us. I'm glad that you trust me with such.

@Ario - hey! I went to your blog, do you have an entry for your "metamorphosis?" I'll be glad to see it!

@Gaia - that's unfair! no photos? LOL! thanks for the insight you've left!

PHTV Zone said...

hey mike..i'm just wondering if you're an article writer of a certain publication ha..you're just so good in writing by the way, hehe i like this new post you had..keep sharing your personal stuff bro..

frankhiks said...

I got to say that this is my fave post from you so far =) being able to inject fashion while looking back is always fun =) hahaha! and yeah FYI your 2005 get up is my current lol my pants are tighter though hahaha I mean i found comfort in loose shirts lately and I can't seem to let it go hahaha =)

Anonymous said...

hey miko... i also like this post.. it's very interesting..

Nimmy said...

love this post. very interesting! wooot woot! :)

Michael said...

@jayr -- thanks bro! nope, i'm not a writer, i'm just a wayward vagabond. LOL!

@frankhiks -- thanks! ready with your pictures? ☻ anyway, won't be writing often, maybe once or twice a month or when ideas hit me... this is still mostly a picture blog... and most of those who visit don't really read so...

@anonymous -- hey butchoy! thanks musicman!

@nimmy -- thanks nimmy! come visit me again....

hey guys, thanks for the visit and the comments... you are the few who reads, i really appreciate that... sincere thanks!

Tokyo Cigar said...

Dude. Dope ass blog. Much respect due. Really good post on here about the memories. I spent almost half of my life traveling so looking back is something i do a lot. This post kinda hit me in the chest hard. RESPECT DUE!

Michael said...

hey Akira (Tokyo Cigar), thanks man! Words like that motivates me to write more...

Valter said...

Hello my dear friend Myke, thank you very much for your visit, happy new day with health and happiness. Hugs Valter.

WenYi said...

hi myke! those are some really cool pictures!! Although you think that you may not have looked fantastic in baggy jeans,but I guess that as long as you're confident that u look good in them back then, the ppl around you then would hv said u look good :)

And I agree with you, I do want to look back at my picures in the future, and go "ahh...i look good " instead of "oh shit, i look like crap! " lol.

cosmetic-dentistry said...

hello dude, the photos is really nice.. visit back please..

Valter said...

Hello my dear friend Myke, thank you very much for your visit, happy Wednesday with happiness and peace. Hugs Valter.

Kamila said...

Hello, i love this post because I love talking about childhood memories..

i think, keeping tract with your memories and everything that goes along with has purpose.

I love making journals as a child, after reading my journals a year or two later, I was mold into someone better, because I saw a rebel on my journal, which I think is not something I would want to be..

sorry for the long post. :)
I was about to navigate my page to somewhere but I saw your sidebar saying..


PLEASE leave COMMENTS, i appreciate them a lot... They make me happy. ☺

so i can't resist! :)

Neriz said...

hey, myke...

you never fail to impress me. i can very well see a very promising writer in you--honest and creative in the presentation of thoughts. family and friends will surely always pull us back to make us in touch with our humnanity.

below are some of the lines that i like the most from your post:

ometimes when we feel overwhelmed, we can always stop and view what's happening in an entirely new perspective. It's sometimes fun to halt for a while when things are moving in such speed and reflect on the past events that brought us where we are now. Doing that makes the present seem a lot better and the future just feels a lot closer and within reach.

When we look at the events in our lives, the decisions we've made and the consequences resulting from those choices or actions -- we learn from them. We realize how strong we truly are because despite the many downfalls, we've stood right up or if not right away, eventually we did.

And with enough inspiration that we get from friends or other people's experiences, we become better, stronger, and wiser.

And by the way...you look awesome because you have awesome-looking parents. fantastic!

woof! i have said one word too many. keep writing some more of this kind. i hope to read you in a book, someday soon. :)

Valter said...

Hello my dear friend Myke, thank you very much for your visit, happy Thursday with happiness and peace. Hugs Valter.

Michael said...

HI EVERYBODY!

@valter(12),(15) and (18) - thank you for the visit!

@wenyi(13) - thanks! i agree with you!

@cosmetic-dentistry - thanks, i guess i need to see my dentist too, LOL!

@kamila - yep, it's always fun to reminisce the past no matter how insignificant or little they may seem to us or to others. it's from those little things that big things come from... keep writing your journal!

@neriz - hi mdam president! thank you! ☺ congrats by the way on the talk! let's get it on with the project soon!

fiel-kun said...

Hey Sir Mike :)

Looking back in my childhood, I can say that "medyo" baduy akong manamit dati haha. Lagi akong naka-tucked-in kahit na naka sando at shorts lang ako haha. Kung iisipin mo and iko-compare mo yung fashion dati, talagang malaki ang pagkakaiba pero I'm not saying na "baduy" ang fashion statement ng mga adults dati (80's, 70's) - for me it's vintage! Nakita ko din yung old pics ng parents ko and hindi sila nagkakalayo sa itsura ng dress na suot ng sa parents mo :)

We all have our time machines. Some take us back, they're called memories. Some take us forward, they're called dreams.

Would you mind if we exchange links?

Thanks!

Kamila said...

Michael! Thank you sa pag follow sa isa kong blog. isa na lang follow mo, di naman ako sikat! haha. SALAMAT MADAME!

Nimber 2 said...

can i be a guest writer here? send me three to five topics that i can write about. then i will work on it. so maybe you can feature it after a few months. how's that for an idea? :)

Axl Powerhouse Network said...

wow is the word i can say on this entry!!!
So nice so inspiring entry blog.... sana makagawa din ako ng ganitong entry sa blog ko.. :D

Michael said...

@fiel-kun (20) - thanks bro and sure we can exchange links! i've put up your yours already...

@kamila (21) - thanks kamila! and you're welcome too!

@nimber 2 (22) - sure mdam! i'll think of topics we can discuss...

@Axl G (23) - thanks for the visit bro, will visit you as soon as I post this reply... and of course you can whip up something like this. it's in you just like as it was in me...

God bless everybody!

Traveliztera said...

Michael, I uber love this post!
First of all, I must say that the clothes your relatives wore back then were definitely fashionable! ;D
Secondly, LOL at the days when oversized clothes were definitely "in" and were considered cool! hahahaha!
Third, wowww! you had a lot of hairstyles ! haha!!!
Fourth, I must agree... The past is nothing regrettable. It's actually fun to look back and see that everything actually made sense and made us better, not just externally, but also internally.

Keep up the faith! Believe that everything has been planned and everything's a blessing! ;)

Michael said...

Thanks Traveliztera, what you said means a lot.

and FYI, my Levi's are still alive, all of them, and they all have 36-37 waist lines... LOL!

Take care!

Traveliztera said...

Awww yay i'm glad it meant something kahit sabog hehehe!

WOW congrats!!! Let's celebrate their anniversary ! HAHAHA!!!

Take care as well!!!

Anonymous said...

Heyy, it's you? a very drastic change at all ... you look great in a style that is now ... that your parents? they seem nice to wear it ... I like it .... hehe

Anonymous said...

whether you are comfortable with wearing earrings? whether it is a habit or a tradition of the people there? coz I may be wrong whether you are a man or woman ... hehe ... (Just kidding) ... peace ...

Michael said...

Hey! ☺

@Traveliztera - Yeah, hahahaha!

@Biegurl - yep, they are my parents. Thank you! And I do wear earrings, but i take it off when I'm at work or attending a formal event. Thanks a lot for the comments, and for posting some of my pictures in your blog. I appreciate that a lot. ☺

biegurl said...

but I think you would look better if you do not wear earrings that ... (It is only an opinion only .. IGNORE ~~~~ your parents look so happy ...
Thank you again for allowing me to update your picture on my blog .... thank you so much ...

Power Up Love said...

"Sometimes when we feel overwhelmed, we can always stop and view what's happening in an entirely new perspective." When I feel overwhelmed I stop and pray.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...