A piece of my thoughts...

        It was a Sunday of talk, books, pizza, tutti frutti and interesting ideas...

     I don't like arguments.  I get along better with people who's got the same interests and opinion as me.  Contrary to what they say about opposites attract, I find it easier if I'm in the company of people whose ideas and interests are the same as mine.  If I needed to defend them, it would be easy because our thoughts and reasoning will be the same.  If I needed to suggest stuff, it would be easy too because it's what I'd do myself if I were on his/her toes.  If we need to hang out, it'll be fun because we've got the same likes or dislikes...


     But reality tells us that not everyone we meet will agree with us all the time.  That's OK.  This world is big enough for people to co-exist with one another.  And as long as no-one's crossing the boundary of etiquette, religion and issues on morality, we can go on co-existing peacefully.  

     And if I might add, all of us will always have a choice.  We can choose who to patronize, who to agree with, who to accept as friends or who to categorize as otherwise.  The choices we make on clothes, books, movies, food -- or the kind of company we select also define the kind of person that we are.  And if I may quote Emily Dickinson:  "The soul selects her own society then shuts the door."  Everything is that simple, really.

     Last Sunday, I went out to meet one of the few friends that I like having intelligent conversations with.  We've known each other for barely three months, and I recognize the fact that this friendship that we have will face many more trials in the future.  For now, all I can say is that she's one friend that's for keeps.  

     Oh no, I am not diverting from my blog theme, coz here's what I looked like on that Sunday afternoon.


     You just need to excuse the low-reso pic...  I only have my phone with me, and that's the best it can do.  ☺ And don't think that I look so sleek with that coat on... because underneath the table, I'm just wearing dark blue shorts and a pair of dark-gray Zara shoes.

     I had the pleasure of knowing Ms. Neriz Cruz Gabelo through my best friend Abraham 'Butch' Lotivio.  She's supposed to tug along when Butch came home from Brunei for a vacation in bicol.  Neriz and Butch are good friends, and although they're having some issues right now, that doesn't mean that they won't realize that those issues are irrelevant when it's their friendship that's in question.  It's not a battle of the sexes, or who's right or wrong -- it's more like asking themselves, "is this worth the trouble?" or them realizing if the loss is better than the gain.  Anyway, I'll devote an entire special entry for each of them in the future.


     Neriz is presently the editor-in-chief of a publishing house in the country and she's authored some textbooks being used by college students in some universities in the Philippines.  I will not discuss in detail her accomplishments because by just using her picture here, however blurry it is, I might be charged of a TF (talent fee) that's way impossible for me to afford...  LOL ☻

     Butch on the other hand, is a talented young musician who've won several songwriting competition in our region and is right now a Music teacher in Brunei.  He can whip up a truly touching melody in minutes.  


    I admire them both for their humility, compassion and most importantly, I like them for their humanity... these people are not perfect... they have tantrums, insecurities and oh man, mood swings -- and if you don't recognize their worth, they are a real pain in the ass. 

    Anyway, Neriz was late (as usual) and while waiting for her, I checked out some restaurant I haven't tried at the Atrium in Mega Mall.  When she got there, we went together and saw some interesting pizza at Chef's Quarter so that's where we've decided to hang out and talk.  I am actually trying to lose weight, and as you know, I'm a pizza guy.  Taking those in consideration, here's what we ordered...


     Lots of fries, Spaghetti Putanesca with peppered chicken, all-meat pizza (that you roll with lettuce, tomato and sprouts) and fruit shakes...  We weren't even able to finish the pizza while we talk about current issues, books, interesting ideas, friends, seminars to attend, talks to give, and yes, we even discussed the various reaction on the controversial answer of Ms. Venus Raj during the Ms. Universe Pageant.

    She gave me some strawberry jam she brought home from Baguio and this book written by one of his favorite authors.


     Then we had some frutti tutti which she enjoyed immensely (it's her comfort food!) before we went home.

    My friend, if ever you got this far reading my blog, let me tell you about some truths in life. Yes, we have the freedom to choose who we associate ourselves with. I personally befriend people whom I think can contribute to my personal growth. I see to it that I will become a better individual if these people will become part of my life. And I make sure that I too will be at my best, and whenever I have something that can help them out, I give it to them willingly. I make it a point that I too can contribute to their personal progress. Neriz and Butch -- they are both my friends. And contrary to my idea of who I want IN in my life... they don't really answer to some of my qualifications. Neriz and I always find something to argue about. Our point of views don't necessarily agree all the time, mostly because her views are that of a woman, and mine, of a man. Butch, he's just quiet most of the time, so you wouldn't exactly know what his thoughts are unless you speculate aloud and let him agree or disagree with it. He's not the type to easily agree with you unless you provide proof.  

    Here's my point:  sometimes, we need to break our own rules and tear down our own walls but in doing so, we should never sacrifice or compromise our ideals.  There are just those who will break the barrier we've put up and they maybe are the exceptions... because some things are more important than rules or standards... such as friendship or brotherhood or family.  At the end of the day, these people and the relationship we have with them, will define who we are, and who we will become.

     My long introduction merely wants to state the standards that I (and of course YOU) may set, and how I want to live my life. It will be my standard for all time, unless the likes of Neriz Gabelo, Butch Lotivio, Cary Realubit or other best friends that I have comes my way, then I have to break them down again.

    Thank you for reading and hope you learned something.  "Show Me Your Look Today" just wants to emphasize that if you will become sentimental about stuff, do it with style... Have a great weekend everybody!  I'm off with Jeb and Hannah later... Hopefully we get to take pictures so I can post them next...

*Photos are used with permission.

31 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hello Myke...Wow!!! I's so out of words...I seem to have lost all the words I have to thank you for this wonderful recognition of our shared differences that I claim to make us better individuals. Seemingly, I can't thank you enough for this so I hope that a warm and big HUG can do the job better.

If at all relevant, I just want you to know that I appreciate myself more after I have gone through a couple of tough shared differences with you. The knowing and accepting processes were not easy but the journey is worth all those.

My one friend, in a personal conversation I had with her, told me that we all get hurt by people we allow to become a part of our lives--no matter how carefully they treat us, in the same manner that we all cause pain to people we care about. Thus, my conclusion: Pain is inevitable but we can not allow all people who come into our lives to cause us pain. We should only choose who can hurt us because we know they are worth the pain, the learning and the risk. And YOU ARE ONE FRIEND that is WORTH all the drama and mood swings. Glad to have you for a friend--and one that I intend to keep for good. :)

I remain,

NIMBER 2

Marco said...

Enough said. It made me think for a while. I remember my friends. You said already what I have been thinking about this stuff. Thank you for the words we may use in the near future. =)

Anonymous said...

“Friends are the family we choose for ourselves.” To be with a woman like Ms. Neriz Gabelo means to be bless,) and by simply commenting on her wall post, or to share my thoughts khit wlang kwenta hahaha... and laughing with her, simply lifts my spirit. I’m as grateful as you are Michael:) Thank God at wala ring professional fee ang friendship:)

ayan madam copy paste:)

Anonymous said...

"....because some things are more important than rules or standards... such as friendship or brotherhood or family. At the end of the day, these people and the relationship we have with them, will define who we are, and who we will become."

Wow! Very, very well said, Myke.. *Applause*

Anonymous said...

Miss Gabelo is indeed a blessing to everyone, especially those who really know her. Being one of her students is a highlight of my college life; having simple conversations with her thrills me because she’s one of the professors I know who refused to be mediocre, one of the professors I’ll always look up to. :)

Anonymous said...

Not so many people have both intelligence and style. People who are intelligent are thought of as geeks. People with style are thought of as just that--without much depth. But you have them both. Now who wouldn't want to have a friend like you (for keeps)? Not I. Certainly, not I. Glad to have you around.

Tuna (lol)

JB Roperos said...

I hope she won't get angry when I call her Ma'am, but hell, Ma'am Neriz was one of the most brilliant professors I've had in PLM. She has her own way of throwing her jokes, the way others might not get. She has her clever points in every issue. She looks at things broadly. She is soooooo intelligent. She never goes to class without a book in her hand, probably the reason why we never had dull moments in class. I always look forward to every class with ma’am Neriz for I know I will learn lots of things. I also anticipated the regular meetings we had then for SPADES because I will laugh to death once again. Hahaha. But you are sooo right when you mentioned that she was late. She’s late most of the time because she’s Ms. Congeniality.

About the blog: I somehow agree with your point that it is easier and more comfortable to be with people who share the same beliefs and thoughts with me. However, I find it more interesting to be debating with my friends at times re issues. With that comes knowledge and a deeper understanding of things.

Chim said...

Hello. I love the concept of your blog. It's commendable that you can write about your friends and about life all at the same time -- added with a touch of photography and yes, style.

I'm sure you both enjoyed the exchange of intellectual thoughts and the food, most especially. Hehehe. We'd love to read more from you, sir!

P.S:

I never recounted any instance that Mam Gabs arrived in our class on time hahahaha. Pero worth the wait naman. She can teach you one whole English - Am period in three hours lol. That's how brilliant she is.

Cheers!

Mischa said...

Being friends with Ms. Gabelo is indeed a blessing and Chim is right, she's always late but it's worth it. You're also right Sir about Ms. Gabelo, she's really deep. Anyway, I'd like to read more from you. The blog is really fresh, you feature people who are important to you, not some star or famous fashion designer or model. You feature real people. Godbless and please write more.

Gaia Eos said...

neither relations nor people are easy ....my friends and I are very different (personality tastes etc) but what I appreciate in such relations is that we complement each other and it really help sometimes ...hmmm I like this sentence of yours "you will become sentimental about stuff, do it with style..." well said :)

Lai said...

Myke,

I have to agree with your thought that I appreciate being around people who share my beliefs and opinion. It makes life a whole lot easier. :)

Sometimes, though, you just really have to break down the wall of differences, not just for the respect of other people, but for yourself.

May I just share that, I've always loved having "passionate conversations" with people. By that I mean I like arguing--but not just with anyone, I like arguing with FRIENDS. It helps you see a bigger, wider perspective of what the world is all about, and that there's more to life than ourselves, our own opinions; that there are other people out there who differ from what we believe. We learn to accept them for the wonderful variation that they are, then we give ourselves a favor by just becoming a better person because we learned to look beyond differences.

In your case, however, I don't think that what I said is the case--not that it makes you a lesser person--but I really think that this time, you broke the wall of difference because of THESE people. I think Ms. Neriz & Mr. Butch are really special to you, the way you shared about them here in your blog.

PS:
Max Lucado is a really good author. Finish that book! ;)

Ana Montano said...

You know what, you are one lucky man to befriend someone as Ms. Neriz Gabelo. I bet she has been soliciting feedbacks for you up to this point in time. haha..Peace! :D

Kinakabahan tuloy ako magcomment, graded ba to?! eheh. At some point, flashbacks are coming into the picture. I remember the time when we were task to write about anything under the sun during our Media Criticism course. How all of those writing sessions has honed me and my writing skills (which I thought I never had).


I love the theme of the blog. I admire how you can be genuinely intellectual, philosophical and fashionable all at the same. Thus let me tag your blog as one that has Beauty and Brains on it.
As for this one, featuring my professor in such light "Neriz was late (as usual)" is very agreeable, proves to be how busy and how a night person she is, mukha kasing may araw pa when you two met. hihi..
Going back, I personally like arguments but I am not good at it. As for friends, I agree that
“Friends are the family we choose for ourselves.” With them we can be ourselves, regardless of our differences. Oftentimes, mas open pa nga tayo sa kanila kesa sa sarili nating mga pamilya. I don't know what it is in them that sometimes their company can be addictive, their laughs and stories are worth listening no matter how non sense they can be.

Just keep on showing your look today. Count me in your avid lookers.. hehe

Carla Angela said...

Hi Michael...I like what you wrote on your blog. It tells a lot about you and the way you deal with life as simple as it is aside from all its complexities.

I agree with Gaia Eos when she said that she liked it when you wrote "...you will become sentimental about stuff, do it with style..." :)

Ma'am Gabs was my professor in college. At the time when almost all of my professors were laid back and grades were easily achieved, I was hungry for knowledge and I needed the challenge that came with it. Then, there she was. It was then that I could say the citizens' taxes invested on us were worth it. I learned a lot from her. The conversations were insightful and based on facts.

I can't remember Ma'am Gabs was ever late in one of the classes I attended or I was more late than her..lol.

Michael said...

Hi guys! THANK YOU so much for visiting my blog and for all the comments!

Thank you Madam and Butch for the gift of friendship and this chance to write about it.

To Marco(2), Anonymous(3), Leah(4), Anonymous(5), Tuna(6), JB(7), Chim(8), Mischa(9), Gaia(10), Lai(11), Ana(12), and Carla(13) -- I appreciate the effort you've exerted just to be here... and the comments that you've left are truly heartwarming. Your insights/inputs are certainly most welcome... Hope this wouldn't be the last time you'll visit my blog. God bless!

Richard said...

Hi there, Michael! Nice post. =). I love the topic and I know how you feel for Ma’am Neriz. Been there, too. I think the three of you (including Butch) clicked because you’re all of the same wavelength. I can’t imagine the chemistry that you just had with each other last Sunday.

Well, some infobits. Ma’am Neriz used to be my professor during my junior and senior years in PLM. I hate her at first. She gave me a humiliating 2.25 grade in our Dramatics class. But I studied her style, her teaching and her behavior. The next sem, voila! She gave me one of the highest grades ever.

But besides the grade, I appreciate Ma’am Neriz for bringing out the best in me. She tapped my writing potential and acting skill, as well. After rehearsals and dry run, we talked a lot, even to the personal level. I remember one time, inabot kami ng 12 AM sa Mc Do Intramuros (in front of Manila High School) talking about everything. Kinulang pa ang oras namin.

Ma’am Neriz can carry pleasant conversations with flexibility. She can be very serious, wacky, polite, proper, and even sexy. Kung gaano karami ang libro niya, multiply natin yun by 100 at ganun karami ang nalalaman niya. There’s no dull moment with her. I feel blessed because until now we’re friends and I’m having a blast every time I’m with her.

I want to congratulate you because once in your life you meet a great person like her.

If I’m just 100% straight guy, I’m gonna pursue Ma’am Neriz. Pero hindi talo eh, hahaha! She’s like a sister to me. Siya si Agua, ako si Bendita, hahaha.

Walang kwentang comment anoh? Haha.

-Richard

Anonymous said...

Hi! I knew Ma'am Neriz when I was in college. She was my professor in three subjects (I guess?) and you're absolutely right... Needless to say much, she is amazing, just the way she is...

I like the way you write in your blog, very casual but interesting to read, especially about someone whom other people might not know. Full of emotions and description about your topic, which is about your friendship with Ma'am Neriz. Continue sharing your thoughts; this might ignite something good to you and to your readers! Kudos!!!

WenYi said...

Hi myke,

It's a really interesting post :)
I agree with you about having friends who will contribute to your personal growth. I find this post really useful especially since I will be starting my working life soon. I'll probably meet people with different opinions, but I guess that's part of life :)

Hehe..I'll try my best to visit your blog even after I've started working :) *cheers*

Michael said...

Hi guys! No words can express the gratitude i feel for the wonderful feedback this post have been getting...

@Richard(15) -- thank you so much for the wonderful 'infobits' about ma'am neriz... LOL!

@Anonymous(16) -- words like that inspires me to write more... I am not really a writer though. ☺

@WenYi(17) -- thanks wenyi... i'll visit yours often too... take care!

PHTV Zone said...

very nice article myk...your such a good man...thumbs up to you..

Dea Bianglala said...

:) it will be easier if we always get what we want...

Michael said...

@jayr -- thanks a lot bro! ☺

@meys -- yep, but sadly, we can't always get what we want. LOL! that's the fun part, right? ☺

Popi said...

I like your pic when you sat in beach..looks clear!! what kind of camera do you use for that?

Anonymous said...

meaning of my friend is someone who can lead and can also destroy our own lives ... sometimes friends and foes are the same in our lives ... There are also people who would give only his friends for personal gain .... sure, we often judge people like this? but once or not we think we are qualified to assess whether other people ... but our offense has always and continues to do .... and whether we realize it or not .... There is also a friend who often make sacrifices for our happiness and joy ... and once or not we think of the feelings of these people, so we can judge whether the rights to other people? while we like to think only of ourselves .... we are living not only for us but also for other people ....

Anonymous said...

dude, is your girlfriend?? perhaps you too many girlfriends ya? crew of women criminals? hehehe ... kidding .... naughty .... hehe

Michael said...

@Popi (22) - thanks! That was taken when we went to Boracay last year...

@Biegurl (23&24) - Thank you for your thoughts. Indeed, there are friends who aren't really friends at all... But thank God for them, coz they make us stronger and better. ☺

markpabilando said...

Friendship is not only about setting one's standards but also making some considerations on others'.

Michael said...

Thank you mark for the comment... ☺

Anonymous said...

The first picture impressed me because it reminds me of a lonely boy on the beach

Anonymous said...

True friendship comes from inside and never from outside

yoetama said...

Do not eat too much, I'll make you look fat, :D

Michael said...

Joey und Pim (28 & 29) - Thank you lovely couple. Yes, that's true. Friendship emanates from the inside.

yoetama (30) - Haha, yeah, I'm kinda observing what I eat now. Thanks!

Thank you guys for the visit! Peace out.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...